My love!

My love!

Thursday, February 12, 2015

J.K. Rowling



Earlier tonight I watched a documentary on J.K. Rowling. I was a huge fan of Harry Potter growing up but I never knew anything about the life of Rowling. I always thought she was a famous writing before Harry Potter and that Harry Potter was just another one of her books. I was surprised how many of her life experiences are tied into the Harry Potter series.  The first major one I saw was that as a kid she would play witches in the forest and make up stories about magical creatures. This explains the reason Harry Potter is about witches, magic, ect.  She had a very vivid imagination from childhood and used that in her writings.  Also I noticed her mother died as she started writing her first book. In Harry Potter, his parents were killed and while it was not at all the same situation as Rowling I feel like she used the emotions from losing her mother to get her readers to understand the loss that Harry Potter feels.  She had a daughter and had to deal with the struggles of being a single mom who had no money. I believe she used the motivation to be a better person and give her child a better life to get the first Harry Potter book finally done.
I hope that as I continue to take composition classes and work on my writing I can learn how to use my life experiences to connect with my readers. My biggest struggle will be with trying to find emotions that I want to share with others I do not know. Writing something on paper that has emotion is a very vulnerable thing and sometimes its nerve wracking knowing someone else will be reading it.   I think the best author in the world would be if I could take Stephen King and J.K. Rowling and mix their imagination and writing styles together!

No comments:

Post a Comment