My love!

My love!

Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Silent!

 I watched a silent film for the first time ever today and it amazes me how much we have come in the movie making business. The film is called "Nosferatu" and it is another version of the classic story of Dracula. According to Netflix this is considered one of the scariest horror movies of the silent film industry. This excited me. I am a HUGE fan of anything scary. I do not enjoy the gory scary movies but sometimes you have to deal with the gore to get to the scare!  I was disappointed to say the least after this movie was over. I do not think you can create a scary movie without at least one actual scream.
  I must admit when I first started watching it I found it very boring.  I do not understand why someone would want to go watch a movie that was not in color and that the only noise was an orchestra. Don't get me wrong I love the sound of an orchestra. I used to play the cello and I believe when used in the right situation an orchestra can add an amazing effect. I just do not know if the right situation was during a silent film.  Plus the sentences that showed up on the screen were very distracting and I thought kind of cheesy. Then again without the sentences and the orchestra I would just be watching people walk around and act in silence.
 Then about halfway through I put myself in the shoes of someone who lived in the 1920's...or at least tried to! This had to have been the most exciting entertainment during that time. This was made during the roaring 20's and no one had worries about the great depression that was going to happen soon. I wonder if in the 1920's they people got as excited to watch a new movie like I do when a new movie comes out.
After the movie was over I made a decision that watching these types of movies would probably not happen again unless my husband decided to put one on while I am doing homework.



No comments:

Post a Comment